Posted Mon, 25 Jan 2010 21:30:49 GMT by Laurie Neilson
Hi,
If I assign a "fixed" slice below a "free and moveable" slice, does Feflow treat the top of the fixed slice as impermeable?  I want to fix the stratigraphy at a certain elevation but I also want vertical flow to be allowed from layer 1 to layer 2.
I am modelling a layered system, saturated, 3D, unconfined. 

Laurie
Posted Wed, 27 Jan 2010 06:30:27 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
No, the slice will not be impermeable, but the layer below the fixed slice is calculated as fully saturated in any case.
Posted Wed, 27 Jan 2010 17:22:58 GMT by Laurie Neilson
Thanks Peter,
I just wanted to make sure because in the Feflow Help it says "The layer covered by a fixed slice will always be considered as a confined layer".  Perhaps the wording could be changed there to say "considered as a saturated layer"?

Laurie

Posted Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:47:22 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
Yes, you are right with this. In the help system of the coming release FEFLOW 6 (and in the current beta) it says: "A fixed slice cannot move. The layer below a fixed slice is always calculated as fully saturated." I hope this avoids misinterpretation. I will not change the help system any more for the 5.4 version as the release of version 6 is close.
Posted Fri, 19 Mar 2010 03:15:56 GMT by Shane Wilkes
I would like to add to this post (if I may).  I understand that layers below fixed slices remain saturated, but after running a model that has a moveable surface above a series of fixed slices, with boundary conditions assigned to lower layers (eg wells, or similar) that should desaturate shallower layers, the simulated pressures can be negative (i.e. unsaturated).  Is this because pressure is simple calculated after the simulation (Head = elevation + pressure head, rearranged of course)?  Does this also mean that with a fixed slice, although a simulated head may be below a layer base elevation, Feflow (in simple terms) uses the Transmissivity based on the assigned aquifer thickness and hydraulic conductivity, the specific storage (ignores storativity) and the gradient (regardless of whether the actual elevations are above or below the assigned slice elevations) to simulate the overall result?  And as a result there will always be flow, even when simulated heads are below the based on the assigned slice elevation (when assigned as fixed).
Posted Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:34:20 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
Shane,
of course you may add.
Your obervation is completely right. In fixed mode, the layer(s) below the fixed slice re always seen as fully saturated (confined). Thus the simulation uses the total layer thickness and only specific storage.
Peter

You must be signed in to post in this forum.