Please wait...

Error

Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 20:24:36 GMT by THU NGUYEN
I'm looking to see the contribution of flow from each of 5 different aquifers in my model to a lake (Model flow toward the lake) by reading the Dirichlet BC Rate-out. But Feflow can only shows the results for the whole model domain or a portion of it (i.e. a specific node/element selection). When I select the whole area of the model and save it as the Node/Element selection #1 and use it to calculate the budget, the result is exactly the same as the selection for the whole model domain (i.e. all layers). Then I assume I cannot calculate the flow budget of each layer individually! Is that correct?

I know the way to track the concentration of different species/chemistry into an OBS point but it doesn't work for total flow. I need to know the amount of flow coming in an area, not the concentration or particle tracking.

Any suggestion is appreciated.
Posted Mon, 04 Mar 2013 19:53:36 GMT by psinton@aquageo.us
You use the "Rate Budget" and "Period Budget" panels for boundary-condition flows based on the selection you make (there is selector at the top of these panels to focus the calculation on the current selection).  These panels only operate on nodes and only on boundary conditions.  Darcy-based [u]estimates[/u] of flows into and out of an element or selected elements is handled via the "Flow Rate" and "Flow Volume" panels.  These also have ways to focus the computation on selected elements.  A secondary selection called the "mask domain" is used for further focusing the calculation on specific element faces.  You may want to use the flow panels instead if you want an estimate of the rate of groundwater flow toward a lake (in a well balanced model, the rate of flow toward a lake should be nearly equal to the rate of water removed from the lake via boundary conditions).
Posted Mon, 04 Mar 2013 22:43:17 GMT by THU NGUYEN
Thanks Pete. I got your idea. The difference btw net inflow toward the lake and the rate of water removed from it through BC was 1.5%, which is pretty good I guess.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.