Posted Tue, 19 May 2015 13:27:10 GMT by samsamia22
Hello,
I am modeling a pumping test and I want to visualize the drawdown of the water table. I want to see the elevation of the ground water at different locations. Does anyone know how to do so ?
I tried to plot the zero isoline (cross section view) but it gave me a horizontal line although the calculated hydraulic heads are lower than the zero isoline.
I was considering to create a function that calculates the average hydraulic head at each location ( average hydraulic head at each node for the same location but at different elevations) and then plot the average hydralic head and consider it as the water table elevation, but I didnt know how to.
Does someone has a better solution or can show me how to create that function ?
Thank you
Sam
Posted Tue, 19 May 2015 15:08:02 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
The zero isoline can be understood as the groundwater table. It should actually fit to the current hydraulic heads.
Posted Tue, 19 May 2015 15:35:14 GMT by samsamia22
Hi,
Thank you peter for the quick response.
The isoline is horizontal even if I change the pumping rate and increase it significantly. I also checked the hydraulic heads at each node along different locations and it was lower than the isoline.
Is there another way to calculate the water table elevation?
Thank you
Posted Tue, 19 May 2015 16:32:54 GMT by psinton@aquageo.us
Are you plotting the zero-pressure isoline or something else. What mode are you using (confined, phreatic, unsaturated)? If you plot head isolines you should see the effect of the pumping well. If you don't, maybe there is something wrong with your model, or perhaps the rate is too small to see any affect.

To plot drawdown, open the DAC, create a user data distribution (data panel) of nodes. Set this new distribution as the current variable to edit and select all the nodes. Use the expression editor to compute the head at time zero minus the head at some time during the pumping, and then assign that expression to the nodes. This assumes you have saved time steps you want to compute drawdown.

There are a lot of very efficient ways to compute and view drawdown. Elevation of "groundwater" is total hydraulic head.

Pete

You must be signed in to post in this forum.