Posted Thu, 13 Nov 2014 03:52:57 GMT by Susie
Hi all,

I'm trying to construct a vertical 2D regional scale mass transport model of a basin which will allow for temperature effects, but I'm struggling with heat. I have a heat-flux BC on the lower boundary and a temperature BC on the top. The resulting temperature is heavily controlled by fluid flow, as very low K units on either side of the basin show a normal geothermal gradient while all elements through which there is non-negligible flow remain roughly at surface temperature, even at greater that 2000m below the surface.

Can anyone suggest something that will produce realistic temperatures?

Thanks,
Susie
Posted Wed, 19 Nov 2014 18:23:52 GMT by Björn Kaiser
If I understand you correctly you expect heat conduction as the dominant heat driver at the margins of the basin, while free thermal convection as driven by gradients in density controls the thermal setting at the center of the basin. However, in the central part of the basin you observe a temperature which corresponds to the surface temperature instead of thermal anomalies triggered by buoyant upwelling flow.

If this is the case could you please double-check whether or not density-dependency is activated? If density-dependency is already activated could it be that external advective forces overprint thermal convection?
Posted Fri, 26 Nov 2021 13:16:28 GMT by Rodolfo Christiansen RUB
Hi all,

I have the same problem. Did you find any solution?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.