Posted Thu, 26 May 2011 11:23:24 GMT by Giomac
Hi all,
I am trying to refine my supermesh over supermesh lines. I am using the triangle method.
The problem is that in my "workspace" I have different maps so when I click the bottom for refining the mesh and I try to select all my lines, it considers also the lines of the other existing maps. I would like to refine just the lines belonging to a specific map. Can anyone help me on that?
I have alredy tried to select my map in the drop-down menu but it still selects all the supermesh lines available in my "workspace".

Moreover when I tried to run the supermesh generator after selecting different lines with the supermesh tool I got this error message:
Error: Ran out of precision at (....).
I attempted to split a segment to a smaller size than can be accomodated by the finite precision of floating point arithmetic.
Try incrreasing the area criterion and/or reducing the minimum allowable angle so that tiny triangles are not created.

I reduced the angle but still I got that message.

Thank you
Posted Thu, 16 Jun 2011 14:58:07 GMT by Alexander Renz
The generator-inbuild refinement works on the specified (selected) lines/polygon edges only. At the current development state, the tools for selecting these lines are not very advanced, so you need to manually select the lines where you wish to apply refinement. A selection based on maps for generator-refinement is not available in FEFLOW 6.0.

Alternatively you can do a manual refinement later (after the mesh has been generated), here you can use the nodal/elemental selection tools of the selection toolbar, including selection by maps.

Concerning the error: Are there extreme contrasts of size (very small supermesh features in a very large supermesh)?
Posted Thu, 16 Jun 2011 17:01:20 GMT by Javier Gonzalez
Alex,

When you are using triangle, you can choose selectively around which supermesh items to perform the refinement (selected polygons edges, lines, points). However, mesh refinement around points is not selective. One can select them all or none of them.

Do you know if this is related to the triangle algorithm or is something to do with the triangle interface available in feflow?
Posted Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:25:19 GMT by Giomac
[quote author=Alexander Renz link=topic=1025.msg2548#msg2548 date=1308236287]
The generator-inbuild refinement works on the specified (selected) lines/polygon edges only. At the current development state, the tools for selecting these lines are not very advanced, so you need to manually select the lines where you wish to apply refinement. A selection based on maps for generator-refinement is not available in FEFLOW 6.0.

Alternatively you can do a manual refinement later (after the mesh has been generated), here you can use the nodal/elemental selection tools of the selection toolbar, including selection by maps.

Concerning the error: Are there extreme contrasts of size (very small supermesh features in a very large supermesh)?
[/quote]

Alex,
Yes there are some extreme contrasts of size.
By the way now I have got another problem while using triangle algorithm.

I try to run the algorithm around a map of contour lines but I got the error message:

Error: Segmentation fault during TRIANGLE mesh generation!

What does that mean?
Posted Wed, 06 Jul 2011 21:27:26 GMT by Paul Chin
The segmentation fault might stem from having too many vertices in the contour lines.  We have found that simplifying any line add-in to a spacing that is no less than what your desired element length is helps.  The mesh generator automatically drops a node at vertices in line and polygons, and at any intersection of them.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.