Please wait...

Error

Posted Sun, 09 Dec 2012 16:48:39 GMT by Jiale Wang
Hi! When defining the first slice, I'm very confused of when to use "Free & movable" and when to use "Phreatic". Could you tell me the difference between them and the rule of using them?

In my model, the first layer is an unconfined layer. The groundwater depth from ground surface is 2- 200 m because my model area includes plain and mountain. So in my model, which should I use to define the first slice, "Free & movable" or "Phreatic"?

Looking forward to your reply, thanks!
Posted Mon, 10 Dec 2012 02:07:06 GMT by Blair Thornburrow Groundwater Modeller
You can use either. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

Read the section in FEFLOW (6.1) help titled "Free surface"
Posted Mon, 10 Dec 2012 15:55:30 GMT by Jiale Wang
Thanks for your reply, Blair!

I have read the help file titled "Free Surface Definition". But I'm still confused. So could you tell me the advantages and disadvantages of using "Free & movable" or "Phreatic" for the first slice?

Thanks!
Posted Tue, 11 Dec 2012 00:37:21 GMT by Blair Thornburrow Groundwater Modeller
This is from the FEFLOW help:

[b]Free and Movable Surface[/b]
Advantages: The model only contains the saturated zone. No additional assumptions are required for the capillary fringe and the unsaturated zone.
Disadvantages: In cases where the water level does not stay within one stratigrahic layer, parameter interpolation can occur during the simulation in elements where the water table cuts through slices of the initial stratigraphy.

[b]Phreatic[/b]
Advantages: This method does not suffer from parameter interpolation problems in case of steep hydraulic gradients and a water table cutting through slices.
Disadvantages: Linear conductivity reduction for partially saturated elements may lead to high contrasts in actual hydraulic conductivity between dry and saturated layers. This complicates the numerical solution. In cases where recharge is applied to a dry top layer, oscillations may occur.
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 15:03:36 GMT by Jiale Wang
Thanks for your reply, Blair!

Then I still have a question. That is for free and movable surface, how is parameter interpolation achieved during the simulation in elements where the water table cuts through slices of the initial stratigraphy? Or what law is this parameter interpolation based on?

Looking forward to your reply, thanks!

You must be signed in to post in this forum.