Please wait...

Error

Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 19:15:00 GMT by Jalil Hassaoui Canada Research Chair
Hello everyone

I'm running a 2D vertical model to simulate saltwater intrusion. It works fine when i'm running it in saturated conditions but when i add the unsaturated functions (van Genuchten) the model is converging very slowly and after a while (around 1000 days) the simulation stops

I'm using these boundary conditions (saltwater head: 0m, mass concentration: 35000mg/L, min mass flow constraint: 0g/d) on the seaside.
I'm starting with fully saturated domain and initial concentration of 35000mg/L at each point of the domain

When i remove the min mass flow contraint it's working fine.

Do you have any idea about what could be the problem. (ex :wrong initial conditions)

Thank you very much
Posted Mon, 03 Jun 2013 07:36:00 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
Hi Leelja,

I would suggest to put the 35000 mg/L as initial only at the seaside part of the domain and have 0 mg/L in the rest of the domain, likely where you know there's only freshwater.
Also, all inflowing BC's on the freshwater side should have a 0 mg/L mass BC.

Apart from the mass transport, I would also suggest to run the model as flow only using the van Genuchten, just to make sure this is stable. If the head solution is already unstable, you have to fix that first before working on the transport.

When the model is being slow with constraints, I would assume they are frequently being triggered during the run. You can easily check that by saving a .dac file and plot all mass BC's. Then you can cycle through each time-step and check. A frequent - and maybe not desired - triggering of constraints can often be due to instability of the model, i.e. over- or undershooting of the primary solution (i.e. mass concentration). If this is the case, you should try stabilizing the model by adjusting the mesh first, then work on other parameters like dispersivities or solver settings. A general good idea with such a combinded unsaturated and mass transport approach is working with the FE/BE time-stepping scheme. Further, try putting a growth factor (starting at small values 1.05 to 2, you have to do test runs for optimal behaviour).

Since it is being unstable when using van Genuchten, I would also suggest to have a look at the saturation and its distribution in each time-step. You might also have to work on the mesh in order to better represent the saturation, or choose different van Genuchten parameters for adjusting the saturation solution.
Posted Tue, 04 Jun 2013 14:55:34 GMT by Jalil Hassaoui Canada Research Chair
Thank you very much Bastian

I will try your suggestions.
What i also did is to run a simulation (with mass transport and unsaturated flow) without the constraint (for the first time of the simulation) and after a while i added the min mass flow constraint and it's working well.
After a long period the solution will stabilizes so i think that this will have no impact on the solution.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.