Posted Wed, 27 Jul 2016 14:31:00 GMT by Charlène CLOCHARD
Hy,

I'm running a transient flow/transport model.  The quantity of contaminant is 100mg/L.
How can I evaluate the quantity of mass injected ? (Budget tool ?)

Any ideas would be great help

Thanks ,

Version 6.2
Posted Thu, 28 Jul 2016 06:57:15 GMT by Björn Kaiser
Correct, you can either use the [b]Rate / Period Budget panel[/b] or the [b]Budget History Charting[/b].

There are two reasons of using the Budget History Charting mode compared to applying the Rate Budget and Period Budget panels: On the one hand, it allows the display of charts, on the other hand the complete chart data are saved in the results file (*.dac), even if not all time steps of the simulation are stored.
Posted Thu, 28 Jul 2016 08:34:11 GMT by Charlène CLOCHARD
Thank you,

If I use Rate Budget, at the steptime of injection (injection : 100 mg/L - 1 day ), the Rate budget indicates :
Dirichlet BC'S = -68.804 [g/d]
Imbalance = -68.804 [g/d]

And when I export the period budget, it indicates at the steptime of injecition :
Dirichlet BC'S - Rate out = -68.804 [g/d]
Dirichlet BC'S - Out = -344 [g]

So, what can I deduce about the mass injected ? Have I injected 68 g or 344 g ?

Thanks for your help
Posted Thu, 28 Jul 2016 10:05:56 GMT by Björn Kaiser
Please note the algebraic sign convention for the Budget panels and Budget Histories: Negative refers to outflow and positive to inflow.

The Rate Budget panel displays the budget (fluid-flow rate, mass-flow rate, heat-flow rate) at the current simulation time step. In contrast, the Period-Budget panel shows the integrated budget for a time period.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.