Please wait...

Error

Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 16:24:35 GMT by Jiale Wang
Hi! Now I'm modeling a steady model. But when I adjusted hydrogeological parameters according to observing groundwater level, I met a strange problem. That is, when I changed conductivities larger, the caculated water level in observing well became larger; when I changed conductivities smaller, the caculated water level in observing well became smaller.

This caculated result was illogical. I suppose the water level should be in negative correlation with conductivities. So I'm very confused about the caculated result above.

Please tell me what kind of error may lead to the wrong result I got above. Looking forward to your reply! Thanks!
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:33:11 GMT by psinton@aquageo.us
You haven't given enough information.  It could be that the observation is not in the area where you changed K and that my explain the result, but it is equally likely that your model is not working properly.
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 06:04:00 GMT by Blair Thornburrow Groundwater Modeller
It is entirely possible for a lowered conductivity to result in a lowered groundwater level at [b]some locations [/b] in your model.

A decresed conductivity will increase the groundwater level [b]gradient[/b], which may result in a rise in groundwater levels in some locations and a fall in others.  It all depends on the locations of recharge and discharge in your model as well as the geometry.  Look at what happens to the system as a whole, not just in one location - this may help you understand what is going on.
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 15:25:07 GMT by Jiale Wang
Pete and Blair, thanks for your reply!

Yes! The change of groundwater level also depends on the location of model. The results in recharge area and discharge area are different.

Thanks! I have got it!

You must be signed in to post in this forum.