Posted Mon, 09 Mar 2015 10:38:34 GMT by Jérémie Roques International Volunteer; Hydrological mapping and model implementation
Hi everybody

I would like to model the effect of lake within a large natural  floodplain (1000 km2) with multiple inflow/outflows.

I would ask for orientation on options I have since I am novice in flood modeling and that I do not really know which function I better have to use: Regulating or user defined structure.

Basically, maps are expected as outputs. How to be sure extends of the reservoir would be well represented? By digging the DEM (30m) or creating new branches with large interpolated CXs ?

Thanks a lot

Jérémie
Posted Mon, 27 Apr 2015 18:19:25 GMT by Marcelo Lago Vice-President
It looks like an application for MIKESHE/MIKE11 instead of one for MIKE11 stand alone.

If you need to define the most likely MIKE11 flow paths inside the floodplain from the DEM, you may want to try Fill Sinks Plus at http://www.lago-consulting.com/fill_sinks_plus.html

Posted Mon, 27 Apr 2015 22:18:03 GMT by Chto
Hi Jeremie,

it sounds that your Problem is more a 2D - problem than a 1D - problem since flow seems to be distributed widely in a vast foreland.

Therefore I recommend to use the 2D - Software MIKE21FM. If necessary, MIKE11 - branches can be coupled to the MIKE21FM - it is then called MIKE FLOOD. The coupling should be done, if you have many discrete branches in your model and the floodplain is flooded with well known most likely flow paths.

But, if you can numerically effort resolving your branches in an unstructured mesh, please use the adequate software.
Everything else is an extreme simplification of the natural conditions an should be avoided if possible.

Bests Christian

You must be signed in to post in this forum.