Posted Fri, 05 Sep 2014 09:56:57 GMT by Pamenifor
Hello

I have a question about how I muss introduce into MIKE11 the culvert geometry.

I show the next example, the real geometry of a culvert is above und the culvert geometry into MIKE11 is below.

I would like to draw the real geometry into MIKE11. How can I make it?

Best regards,
Posted Fri, 05 Sep 2014 10:09:06 GMT by Torben Strange Jensen
Hi Pamenifor

This is a classic example of a need to combine several structure types, as the culvert you describe is in reality kind of a composite structure where you have a closed pipe combined with an overtopping level (red line in your drawing).
The way to schematize this in your MIKE 11 model is simply to keep the definition of a culvert as you have made it already, and then you should insert an overflow weir structure in the model as well.
You will need to define a weir at the exact same location (identical chainage) as the culvert and with the geometry as defined by your 'red line'.

During simulation, MIKE 11 will then combine these two structures into a combined, composite structure and the total flow calculated at that location will be a sum of the flow that can go through the culvert pipe and the flow that eventaully passes over the overflow weir.

Regards
Torben
Posted Fri, 05 Sep 2014 11:35:40 GMT by Pamenifor
Thank you, Torben, for a quickly answer.

I have a similar question, but about bridge. How I can introduce the high and low chord? Should I use a weir structure at the exact same location?

I show a couple example. The pdf file is my specific question and the links are eventually bridges.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/chinese-arch-bridge-17529148.jpg
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogenbr%C3%BCcke#mediaviewer/File:20130606_Mostar_126.jpg

Best regards
Posted Thu, 25 Sep 2014 06:54:48 GMT by Torben Strange Jensen
Pamenifor,
Fair to say, there are many opinions on how bridges are modelled best and most accurately, but one of the options that are most typically applied with MIKE 11 is to combine culverts (one or multipe to describe the bridge flow openings) with an overflow weir that takes into account the bridge overtopping. The key issue in this definition is that all structures that are to be taken into account as a component in the composite bridge definition must be specified at the exact same chainage!

One of the advantages with this approach is that the individual components describing the bridge geometry can be defined using arbitrary geometry and each one of them is also represented in the results from simulation, so that it is possible to detect how much water passes through any of the bridge openings. Using irregular geometry definitions for the level-width tables for both culverts and weir you can surely define a composite bridge geometry that describes the type of bridge you have included in the attached pictures.

Regards
Torben
Posted Fri, 21 Nov 2014 06:40:47 GMT by Pamenifor
Thanks Torben for your answer. I'm sorry that I didn't write before.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.