Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2018 02:12:16 GMT by Jerrold Rentz
Hi all,

I've seen a few recent posts discussing recharge but none seem to match what I am looking for. I have a 2D Vertical Transient Model that is otherwise calibrated, however, I am having an issue with recharge for the model. I've gone through the tutorial and am a little confused on how to  implement recharge into the model.

Typically, I would use a fluid flux boundary however, it seems that FeFlow is not able to link a fluid flux boundary to a time series with data... So I determined that the inflow/outflow material settings is the next step (despite my confusion as to why recharge would be a material property????), however I cannot seem to link it to transient data (I realize that I can assign it to dates and times but cannot assign the actual recharge rates), the tutorial uses a shapefile that gets imported into the maps area, but I do not quite understand how I can incorporate a shapefile where each event is a polygon over a small 2D area... Is there a simple way to incorporate recharge as rain events into my model from the top layer using a time series??

Thanks!
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2018 09:31:09 GMT by Björn Kaiser
In a physical sense the parameter In-/outflow on top/bottom is indeed rather a Boundary Condition. It's actually "the same" as you would assign Neumann BC's at the first slice. However, if you assign Neumann BC's at the first slice for the recharge, you cannot assign other BC's anymore (e.g. Cauchy BC's for a river), because the nodes are already used for a BC. In-/outflow on top/bottom as a material property allows you to assign a recharge + additional BC's at the top of your model.

Time-depended Boundary Conditions are possible to assign via parameter links. However, it is difficult to help you here without knowing the details of your data. I suggest to contact the FEFLOW support: https://www.mikepoweredbydhi.com/support
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2018 21:57:25 GMT by Jerrold Rentz
Hi Bjorn,

Unfortunately, I am unable to get technical support as the license for our software was never renewed for the technical support... so I am forced to look around online... If it would help I could attach a image of my basic model with what I am attempting to do.
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2018 09:26:29 GMT by Björn Kaiser
Yes, please provide a snapshot indicating the problem. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2018 14:38:18 GMT by Jerrold Rentz
Hi Bjorn, attached is a very simplified version of the model incl. boundary conditions and obs points. for recharge, I have exact dates and rainfall amounts that I'd like to incorporate.

Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2018 12:57:21 GMT by Björn Kaiser
Actually, I thought about a snapshot of the Parameter Link you use.

Under Link type of the Parameter Link, there should be an option to switch from [b]Time constant data[/b] to [b]Time-varying (time series id)[/b]. If [b]Time-varying (time series id)[/b] is not available you need to activate transient in the Problem Settings.

This assignment assumes that the column of your external file you want to link refers to the ID of the time-series you previously added to the Time-Series Editor.

If you do not want to use a Parameter Link you can easily assign the time-series directly to the BC by using the time-series id instead of a constant value in the input bar.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.